Trial flights are a great way to find out what gliding is all about.
There are two ways you can get a trial flight. You can either; come on one of our special trial flight days, or organise your own trial flight at a time that suits you.
Trial flights cost £25 for your first flight, and £16 should you choose to have a second.
What to expect
- you'll have to sign a couple of forms in the office
- sometimes we show people a short briefing DVD
- a full briefing from your experienced instructor about what to expect during your flight
- we'll get you comfortable and secure in the glider and tell you about the most important instruments and controls
- then a flight in a 2-seater dual-controlled glider lasting about 7-15 minutes, depending on weather conditions
- you'll have the opportunity to do some of the flying yourself, if you want to
What to Bring
- Plenty of Warm Clothes, layers are best
- Practical Waterproof Shoes - for walking on the field
Please note that there are a few situations where we cannot (for safety reasons) offer a trial flight:
- If you weigh more than 16 stone (102 kg).
- If you have ever suffered from any of the following: Epilepsy, fits, severe head injury, recurrent fainting, giddiness or blackouts, unusually high blood pressure, a previous coronary.
- If you take insulin regularly for the control of diabetes.
Trial Flight Days
During a trial flight day we organise free minibus transport to the airfield at regular intervals, meaning that the whole trip and trial flight day takes about 4 hours.
We accept payment by cash or cheque only on the day, so make sure you bring payment with you or you'll be unable to take a flight.
Self Organised Trial Flight
If you have missed out on our trial flight days you can still get a trial flight for the same bargain price. The main differences are:
- You can have a trial flight on any day (subject to availability)
- You have to arrange your own transport to the airfield
- There may not be any CUGC person to help you, however the people at Cambridge Gliding Centre are able to help you with everything you need for your trial flight, but may not know details about how the University Club operates.
- You must pay in advance
Map showing pick up location (Sidgwick Site) and route to Gransden Lodge Airfield